Sleep Well With ResMed S+*


Hello, everyone! I hope you're all well. I'm so happy with the feedback from my recent health and well-being posts that I'm back at it again today. This time, I'm talking about the importance of sleeping and how a good nights sleep can really enhance your day-to-day life.

I'm a rather anxious person and I'm most definitely guilty of the 'over-thinking at night until I stress out about every aspect of my life and keep myself awake until 3am' thing. In fact, it happened all too regularly. Luckily, ResMed reached out to me with a promising solution. I was intrigued; I did extensive research on the brand and decided to give the S+ a go.

I started by making a few changes to my lifestyle. I stopped drinking caffeine after 4pm, I started making a conscious effort to eat set meals (I would usually have one meal a day and a snack), I started writing my anxious thoughts down into a journal. Most importantly, I started using the S+.


A bit about ResMed:
In 1981, Prof. Sullivan from the University of Sydney developed the first non-invasive treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea. A few years later, ResMed was founded, and ever since they have been dedicated to researching and developing products to help those suffering with sleep disordered breathing (SDB) and obstructed sleep apnoea (OSA). ResMed now work with patients in over one hundred countries. They have spent 10 years developing the S+; analysing over two million nights of sleep, they published ten clinical studies demonstrating its value.

So, how exactly does the ResMed S+ work and what does it do? Well, in a nutshell, it analyses your sleep by detecting your upper body movements and then relays vital sleeping information back to your smartphone to help you sleep more peacefully.


The S+ detects and tracks the expansion and relaxation of your chest as you breathe and overall position changes, twitches, restlessness. Paired with your smartphone and the S+ app, you can get tailored feedback which enables you to see when you wake, when you're in deep sleep, when you're restless. This, in turn, can indicate how you can adjust your environment to suit your sleeping pattern much better. For example, you may be waking due to noisy neighbours or light coming through the window.

I find the technology beyond fascinating. The S+ transmits short pulses of radio waves at 10.5 GHz and then listens out for the echo of the pulse. As you move, the echo is converted into a signal back to the S+, which reflects your movement, or lack of. What's even more fascinating is that clothing and blankets are almost transparent to the radio waves, so you don't have to worry about sleeping without a duvet etc.

The S+ was super quick and easy to set up. I plugged it in, downloaded the app, switched on the Bluetooth feature on my iPhone and clicked "pair". The fact that it's so simple to use makes it suitable for people of all ages. I showed my (technologically challenged) mum the S+ and even she could get to grips with it. My boyfriend was also very impressed with the design, technology and features.



What I was most looking forward to was getting my personalised sleep feedback the following morning. I set up the S+ on my bed-side table and angled it towards my upper body. The design of the S+ is very aesthetically pleasing and is very modern. The sleek design and simple colour fit in with my decor and would suit almost every bedroom. I also love that there is one simple wire which minimises untidiness. The plug also has two USB ports; one for the S+ wire and one for your phone charger. This is so useful as it allows you to keep your phone charged at all times.


On 18/02/2017, I managed to have a pretty successful sleep. I got a sleep score of 92 out of 100. My sleep history allows me to see at which points of the night I was in deep sleep, light sleep, REM sleep and awake. It also shows me my total sleep time. I managed to get 6 hours and 57 minutes of sleep and I only woke very briefly twice. Usually, I would sleep for 5 hours a night and waking three to four times for longer periods.

Before you sleep, you can enable the sleep mode on your app in order to get feedback. When you click "sleep", the app will ask you a few short questions about your stress levels for the day, alcohol/caffeine consumption and exercise. This allows you to track these daytime factors which may be affecting your sleeping patterns.


On the app, there's also a "relax" mode. This consists of a bank of relaxing and soothing noises. I find these to be really helpful to put on just before bed or even in the daytime when I'm working on university essays.

The next day I felt awake, productive and energised. I usually struggle to wake up in the morning and I rely heavily on coffee to keep me refuelled throughout the day. I found that I consumed less caffeine and I managed to fit more into my day as I wasn't stopping to snack/trying to wake myself up. I'll definitely keep using my S+ and I'll keep everyone updated on social media as to how I'm doing!

I hope you have enjoyed this post and that I've inspired you to take better care of your sleeping pattern.

If you have any questions or comments, please do leave them below! If you would like to know more or purchase an S+, click here. If you want to know more about ResMed and their research, click here. You can also follow them on TwitterYouTube and Facebook.

*This post was sponsored and paid for my ResMed. However, all opinions remain my own and are not scripted.

Share:

0 comments