Hair Growth | Grow Gorgeous

by - 6/13/2018


Today's post is a fairly short one - I'm trying to make an effort to keep my posts under 1500 words, short and snappy! It's harder than you think; I'm a rambler.

Last week, I came home from the library to a lovely PR package from Grow Gorgeous. A travel kit with detoxing and conditioning elements, all designed to help your hair grow. If you follow me on socials, you'll know that I've been growing my hair out. 18 months ago, I was left with a bad cut after having bonded extensions taken out - I decided to chop it into a "lob" to try and even it out. I was also really, really bored of being a black to blonde ombre. So, as you do, I bleached it and dyed it pastel pink. Yep. That was a thing.




Even before I started bleaching my hair, I had a very dry scalp. My skin is generally very dry - I mean, dark skin is biologically designed to withstand hot weather and I live in dreary, cold England. I exfoliate weekly and moisturise every time I shower. This cleans off dead skin cells and allows my skin to stay as hydrated as possible.

I also used to wash my hair every day, this was mainly to rid any dead skin cells and flaky scalp that would cause build-up/look nasty. In doing this, I was actually drying out my scalp further, I knew this but I just couldn't face being dry and flaky. I had tried medicated shampoos, creams, different teas and home remedies but nothing seemed to work.

As mentioned before, Grow Gorgeous sent over a travel essentials kit of their detoxing and conditioning products. The set included minis of the Cleansing Conditioner, Scalp Detox, and Hair Growth Serum.



Cleansing Conditioner:
A little goes a long way with this conditioner! GG recommend that you use it from root to tip (something I'm skeptical of doing as it usually makes my hair feel greasy and heavy). The conditioner was gentle, lightweight and very effective. I left my hair to air dry and usually, my hair curls up into a frizzy knot, however, this time, my curls were sleek and defined.

Scalp Detox:
This is the product which prompted me to write this post. I am amazed. Like I said before, I've tried medicated products for my dry scalp, none of which have worked, but this WORKS. Even when my hair is freshly washed and wet, I could still notice dry scalp on my hairline. When I inspected my hairline post-shower, I couldn't see a single patch of dry skin. Once my hair had dried, I had another look and my scalp was completely free of dry skin and flakiness! Again, a little goes a long way with this product, I used a 20 pence piece sized dollop, which covered my entire head. If I could recommend one product from the travel kit, it would be this.

Hair Growth Serum:
The serum is designed to be used daily - which was a scary thought at first because I didn't want my hair to have build-up and be greasy every day. But, I stuck with it. It's been a little over a week now and I've washed my hair twice (Monday and the following Sunday). The serum is light, non-greasy and doesn't leave a residue in your hair. I have taken a 'before' photo and I'll keep you updated every fortnight over on my Instagram Stories. So far, I haven't noticed a difference in length, I wouldn't expect to in a week, but I have noticed that my hair feels thicker and stronger.

The travel kit retails at £35.00 which I think is a very good price point - you're also making a health saving as the products bought separately would total over £55.00! (andddddd you get a cute travel bag)

Add caption

A lot of you have been asking how I've been taking care of my hair to keep it healthy and strong after a full head of bleaching and rebleaching black hair. So, I've compiled a quick list *shock, Shannon writes another list*, of my top tips:

1. Stop washing your hair every day! I used to wash my hair every single day. Not only was it time-consuming, but it would strip my hair of its natural oils (which are essential for healthy hair growth). No amount of conditioner can make up for natural oil loss. I went through a three-week phase in which my hair was constantly greasy, but my scalp adjusted to the routine and now I wash my hair once to twice a week.

2. Hair masks and serums are your new best friend. I usually use a handful of conditioner as a pre-treatment to washing my hair. I slather it all over, root to tip, leave it on for a few hours and then wash my hair as normal.

3. Get your hair trimmed regularly. If you have split ends and they keep splitting further up your hair shaft, you'll end up having to chop it all off anyway. Going for a trim every 8-10 weeks has really helped to keep my hair looking and feeling healthy, thick and in great condition.

4. Stop bleaching. Seriously, stop. If you're going to lift your hair colour, make sure you see a trained professional who uses Olaplex (a three-step system which ensures that the bleaching process is as healthy as possible).

I'll be posting updates on my hair journey over the next few months as it's something that you guys highly requested! If you have anything else you'd like me to cover on my blog, feel free to slide into my DMs. Also, apologies for the lack of photos within this post - I have been swept off my feet with other blogging jobs and university work. I really wanted to get this out to you all ASAP. Links to products and socials are below. xxx

Grow Gorgeous Three Steps to Gorgeous Travel Kit

Follow me on Instagram | Follow GG on Instagram

You May Also Like

0 comments