Positive Pampering / ad

by - 5/04/2020

This post is in partnership with Fragrance Direct.



What a weird old time we're in, right? Without dwelling on the current situation too much, I'm writing this post to hopefully inspire some positivity into your daily routines. I noticed a serious dip in my mental health over the past weeks, and around a week ago, I asked myself why this was. I'm the kind of person who works well under pressure, but with no motivation to work, I have found myself letting my days pass without engaging in any brain-stimulating activities at all.



Just interjecting into my own point, I think it's absolutely find to sit and do nothing, in fact, I actively encourage it as part of this positivity routine, however, as someone who struggles with their mental health, not engaging your brain with little, everyday tasks means that my brain is occupied with anxious thoughts. What I mean by a "routine" or "tasks" isn't baking a million cakes, doing a HIIT workout every single day, learning seven new languages and crafting until you essentially have a small Etsy shop. 

My perspective is about taking the smaller activities and celebrating them and slowing them down. I have always been a multi-tasker, it's something I'm really good at, and for the most part, it really helps with my everyday. However, we find ourselves not living in our usual everyday, and having more time to focus on things individually. For example, usually I'll plan to shoot instagram photos and catch up on my fave TV shows between 2pm and 4pm. I'm giving my partial attention to two things that I thoroughly enjoy, when I could be breaking up my day and enjoying each thoroughly instead. 

The notion that we have to be multi-tasking and busy bees 24/7 is actually rather damaging, and I'm going to show you a few ways I slow it down, appreciate the little things, and celebrate the positivity in the everyday.



1. Morning affirmations. When I first read about morning affirmations, I thought they were a load of nonsense. Babbling self-indulgent words to yourself every day, repeatedly? Well, turns out it's actually productive and empowering to be nice to yourself, who knew?! Every morning I list three things I'm grateful for, three things I'm looking forward to, and three thing I love about myself or my loved ones. It starts my day on a positive note and reminds me how grateful I should be for my life. Remember, there's always something to be grateful for, there's always a positive thought to be had. It's okay if you're not in the right headspace, just take it easy and don't put pressure on it. Some days I forget to do this, but generally I try to as much as possible. 

2. A hot drink in the morning. I drink Red Bush caffeine-free tea in the morning; it warms me from the inside and it's comforting to get up early and watch the sun for a few minutes with a cuppa. If you're not into hot drinks, maybe a glass of juice or water? Either way, find a few minutes to let yourself sit in the morning silence and relax. 

3. Remember to have breakfast! It fuels you and gives you energy for the day ahead. I often feel lethargic and sluggish throughout the day if I don't eat breakfast. It doesn't have to be "healthy" or one of those perfect smoothie bowls you see all over instagram. In fact, mine is often a bowl of coco pops or some buttered toast. 

4. Light a candle or get a reed diffuser. You'll be amazed at how much a relaxing scent changes your vibe and mood. I've been loving this one from Rituals stocked at Fragrance Direct recently. It's full of calming and fresh tones. I put ours on the coffee table in the living room and open the doors and windows to help the scent and fresh air circulate throughout the apartment.


5. Take care of your skin! I've recently been using this US Apothecary coffee and vanilla face mask. It's a beautiful texture, really brightens and evens the skin, and is really affordable. Also, I've been loving the REN Flash Defence mist for adding a little hydration throughout the day. This mist is fab because you can use it bare faced, but also with a full face of glam and get the same hydrating results. REN is slowly becoming one of my fave skincare brands too, their Radiance Night Time Facial, which is essentially a potent serum that you use 2-3 a week before bed. Apply before your moisturiser and wake up with bouncy, fresh skin. Honestly it's amazing for those uneven skin textures and little break outs. Lastly, let's not forget the skin on the rest of our body. We don't do ashy elbows and crusty knees over here, we moisturise every day without fail. Keep your skin hydrated and it will thank you in the long run. I've been using the Love Beauty and Planet Muru Muru Butterand Rose lotion. It feels luxurious, is non-sticky, sinks in straight away, smells delicious, and leaves you feeling fresh and clean. The best time to moisturise if after bathing/showering when your skin is 90% dry. 

6. Make a playlist that makes you feel positive and empowered. For me, music completely changes my mood without me initially realising. It's a great way to discover new music too. If you need a positivity/empowerment playlist, you can check out mine for some inspo, both on Spotify and Apple Music.

7. Have a chat with someone. Whether it's your neighbour over the fence, or, if you're confined to a flat like me, chat to a friend online or via facetime. If you find yourself in a position where you have nobody to chat to, then feel free to drop me a message on Twitter or Instagram. My DM's are always open, and I mean that! I have some of the most uplifting and absolutely hilarious chats with strangers who have slid into my DMs. I'm always up for a natter. 

8. Spritz your fave scent. Much like music, I find that scents really affect my mood (hence why I love lighting a candle or having a reed diffuser out). I was recently gifted the Jimmy Choo Leau by Fragrance Direct and their description of it is "strong, free-spirited, yet resolutely feminine" and I think that describes it perfectly. A good perfume will make you feel more put-together and will uploft your mood throughout the day.


9. Practise social distancing and extra hygiene measures. The better we co-operate with the government guidelines, the easier we make it for ourselves, the people around us, and the key workers. Make sure you only take essential trips and one hour of exercise with people within your household only. I know that when I started excessively washing my hands, they started to get really dry and cracked due to the harsh soap I was using. The lovely Fragrance Direct sent over some REN handwash, which has been at our bathroom sink since. It's not harsh on your skin, moisturises as well as disinfects, smells incredible and lasts ages too! We bought another bottle of it literally the day after we opened our gifted bottle because it's so lovely and we wanted one at the kitchen sink too.

10. Take is easy on yourself. Not every day is going to be full of sunshine and good vibes. Sometimes we will feel crappy, and that's where this lil routine is designed to step in and help you take control of your everyday life. Don't be hard on yourself if you have a "lazy" day, remember that self-care IS productive and that everyone needs and deserves down time. We're in the middle of a global pandemic so don't feel bad for not working out or baking bread or whatever else the rest of Instagram is doing. 

Lastly, I know I touched briefly on mental health in this post, so if you need any help please do reach out, and here are some helpful links:

You May Also Like

0 comments